Monday, July 21, 2008

Where Should My Hands Be At Impact?

I have been taking golf lessons, but I just can't seem to keep my hands"loaded" at impact. I always want to flip at the ball instead of having my hands forward of the club at impact. What is a good golf drill to correct this. Help!!!

Typically when someone "flips" at the ball, they are not rotating all of the way through to their target. Their body stops and their hands and arms "flip" to get to the ball. Try this golf drill: Take some golf swings with a wedge or a 7 iron. As you finish, make sure that you are all of the way up on your back toe and the sole of your shoe is pointing behind you. You should be able to sustain this for three seconds without losing your balance.

In addition, you have too much tension in your wrists, elbows and shoulders. You should be pulling the golf club and not trying to push it. Take your regular grip and make a gun or a pistol with your thumb and pointer finger. We want them off of the golf club. Take some practice swings with your grip in this position and this too should help you feel more rotation as your hands can not "help" as much anymore.


No comments: